Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Japan Devastation Through Flickr

Flickr is a very interesting website that I had never visited before this assignment. While looking around Flickr it became very apparent that the site has many positives.

For me my first reaction to Flickr was it is a pretty useful tool. I searched through the Japan archive and quickly found crazy images of what its like over there after the terrible earthquake and tsunami. The picture gallery really told the story. There were boats on top of houses, cars on top of buildings, boats turned over, and so on. It really showed how bad things were and gave an insight on what its like on the ground in Japan.
Also the photos I found were taken the day of the natural disasters or the day after before media outlets were there. These photos were ground breaking and really showed Japan before the media arrived. This was talked about in the Shirky book, that Fickr now gives people the ability to post something like the London Bombings or the natural disaster in Japan instantly and how this can be a positive in the world of technology. Flickr provides a service that goes along with today’s technology. Everything in the world today is right at your fingertips and now Flickr provides a person with the ability to see what life is like around the globe in seconds. Also talked about in the Shirky book was the ability for people to group photos on Flickr. I found this to be useful as well because it showed me to other galleries and really let me find the photos I was looking for. I was also looking at another student’s blog today and saw a link to an Irish parade on St. Patrick’s Day in Boston. I have never been to the celebration so I clicked the link and saw the photos and it gave me an insight of what it would have been like to be there. Obviously it is not the same as going there but it looked fun and something that I would like to go to in the future.
Flickr seems like an overall positive tool that seems well created and very useful. Though I had never visited the site before I will go back to it when I need to visually see something that I am interested in. Here is a link to the Flick gallery I viewed. Flickr Japan Natural Disasters

No comments:

Post a Comment